In-person Agent Forum - October 13, 2023 | Convention Center - Lili'u Theater Room 310
Gain valuable insights to better address critical issues impacting condominium transactions and provide valuable guidance to your clients in today's market. Enhance your condo knowledge and contribute to a safer community.
Access speaker presentation slides below:
Insurance Issues in Condo Land: From hurricane coverage to buildings lacking fire sprinklers, learn about the nuances of condo insurance to navigate insurance challenges effectively.
Speaker: Sue Savio, President, Insurance Associates Inc.
>> View presentation slides
Oahu's Aging Condos Challenges: Explore the impact of aging condos built in the 70s on maintenance fees, schedules, financial reserves, and assessment fees.
Speaker: Dana Bergeman, CEO, Bergeman Group
>> View presentation slides
Mastering Condo Management: Learn how to collaborate effectively with condo management companies and discover essential tips for handling condo documents, RR105C forms and ensuring owner compliance with HOA rules.
Financing Condo Sales: Stay ahead of the curve by understanding the challenges, financing options, and Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac requirements specific to condo sales.
Speaker: James Moniz, Executive VP, Mortgage Banking Division Manager, Bank of Hawai'i
>> View presentation slides
Be the Eyes and Ears for the Community:
Guest speaker Julie Whitehead, a survivor of 31 years of abuse, including sex trafficking, shares her inspiring story of resilience and advocacy that will empower you to be a community watchdog against trafficking.
Julie is part of the Malouf Foundation, a nonprofit organization that offers OnWatch™, a free digital training that raises awareness about sex trafficking in the U.S. We encourage all REALTORS® to play a vital role in spotting and preventing human trafficking by becoming a certified OnWatch™Advocate by completing the training being offered via webinar to HBR members:
>> Register for OnWatch training webinar | November 1 from 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (FREE)
In-person Agent Forum - July 21, 2023 | Convention Center - Lili'u Theater Room 310
Experts from various government agencies provide important updates on topics that impact your business and clients:
Gain a better understanding of the latest regulations and guidelines surrounding local shoreline setback requirements, available resources, and how to navigate potential challenges.
Speaker: Christina Keller, DPP’s Shoreline Division
Moderators: Ayako Ancheta and Richard DeGutis - HBR City Affairs Committee Members
REAL PROPERTY ASSESSMENTS
Gain resources, practical knowledge, and get your questions answered about the homeowners exemption, real property tax, valuations, and assessments, from key factors influencing property valuations, the assessment appeals processes, to leveraging assessments to benefit your clients.
Speaker: Stuart K. Peterson, Assistant Real Property Assessment Administrator
Moderators: Jennifer Andrews and Dianne Willoughby - HBR City Affairs Committee Vice-Chair and Chair
SAFEGUARDING AGAINST CYBER FRAUD SCHEMES
Local law enforcement is witnessing unprecedented levels of fraud and monetary losses in the billions resulting from the targeting of Hawai'i REALTORS® and real estate transactions. Learn who and how agents are being targeted and equip yourself to detect and prevent threats from the latest fraud schemes hitting local REALTORS® especially hard – Business Email Compromise and Cryptocurrency Investment Fraud.
Bio: Technical Special Agent Mike Gee has been with the United States Secret Service for over 20 years and has specialized in a variety of cybercrime and cybersecurity-related disciplines. These include digital forensics and incident response, analysis of cyber intelligence data, protection of critical infrastructure, cryptocurrency analysis, and significant investigations of advanced persistent threats. Since 2017, TSA Gee has been assigned to the Honolulu Field Office, where he manages the Digital Evidence Forensics Laboratory and supervises the Hawaii-Pacific Cyber Fraud Task Force.
In-person Forum - April 24, 2023 | Convention Center - 3rd Floor (Room 310)
- May 2023 Standard Forms Update: Effective May 1, 2023, HAR will release one new and six revised Standard Forms. As REALTORS®, you have an obligation to understand how to use the new form and what changes have been made to the other forms. Speaker: Jason Korta, HAR Staff Attorney
- Fair Housing and How It Impacts Your Listings in the MLS: April is Fair Housing month and a perfect time to understand the WHY behind the recently revised MLS Rule related to photos in your listings. Ensuring that all prospective buyers and renters feel welcome in your listings is important and helps you avoid a possible fair housing violation. It’s more than just “no people in photos” or prohibited words in a list. By having a better understanding of the WHY, it will help you represent all clients and customers fairly. Speakers: Maria Arrieta and Nathalie Champion, Co-Chairs, HBR Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
- Unlicensed Assistants and Transaction Managers – Understand What They Can Do: We are seeing more agents using unlicensed assistants, virtual assistants, and transaction managers to assist them in their business. Do you know what they can and cannot do? It’s not that simple because there is no formal list of dos and don’ts. We’ll discuss the resources available to help guide you in activities that are acceptable and when a particular activity requires a license. Speakers: Chad Takesue, HBR Immediate Past President, and Fran Gendrano, HBR President-Elect
- Let's Talk About REALTOR® Advocacy: Ever wonder where your RPAC investment goes? Hear the latest news on what REALTOR® advocacy does for you at every level and why every dollar counts. Speaker: Shannon King, NAR Region 13 Director
In-person Forum - October 7, 2022 | Convention Center - 3rd Floor
- Candidate Forum from 8:45 - 9:45 AM
- Agent Forum from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
8:45 AM - 9:45 AM | 3rd Floor - CANDIDATE FORUM: Featuring City Council candidates in the run-off for the General Election. Each district will have its own room for a moderated one-hour Q&A forum with the candidates. If you're unsure of your district, then click here.
- District 2 - with Makuakai Rothman and Matt Weyer
- District 4 - with Kaleo Nakoa and Tommy Waters
- District 6 - with Tyler Dos Santos-Tam and Traci K. Toguchi
- District 8 - with Ron Menor and Val Aquino Okimoto
10:00 AM - 1:00 PM | Kaua'i Room 311 - AGENT FORUM: Following a short break after the Candidate Forum, we'll reconvene in Room 311 for our Agent Forum focused on providing members with key City & County updates on housing issues impacting your business and your clients
*The views and opinions expressed in the Voter’s Guide and Candidate Forum videos are those of the candidates and do not necessarily reflect the views or official positions of the Honolulu Board of REALTORS®. Feel free to share the Voter’s Guide with clients, family, friends, and neighbors in your district.
Virtual Agent Forum - April 8, 2022 | 9:30 AM
Board of Water Supply Update: Watch Ernest Lau, Supply Manager and Chief Engineer, BWS provide the latest updates on the impact of the Red Hill situation on our island's water system and supply and recent talks about a possible moratorium on new developments and how that may impact our already declining housing inventory
REALTOR® Safety – Best Practices
Compensation & Negotiating Commissions: Anti-trust and ethical considerations; Buyer’s Agent compensation; and Reciprocating MLS’s and offer of compensation
Policy Updates: Short-Term Rentals legislation - Bill 41; Condo financing
Virtual Agent Forum - July 30, 2021 | 9:30 AM
Topic: Beyond Diversity: Why Should REALTORS® Care?
Watch speakers from Native Hawaiian Legal Corporation, Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, Shidler College of Business at UH Manoa, fellow REALTORS®, and special guest Kamakakēhau Fernandez share their insights on:
- how the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act provides economic stability and a sense of cultural identity through housing for Hawaiians
- how the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission investigates and enforces fair housing violations; types of complaints that affect REALTORS®; are there testers in the field on O’ahu; issues to know surrounding service animals, disability, and property management complaints
- Fairhaven demo and challenge; situations REALTORS® may come across that require having candid conversations with their clients
- 10 things to know to be successful in business locally whether you were born and raised here or moved here
Virtual Agent Forum - April 16, 2021 | 9:30 AM
Topic: Housing Development: Process, Community Involvement, Hurdles
Watch speakers and panelists share their insights on housing development - including speaker Dean Uchida, Executive Director of Department of Planning and Permitting, panelists Christine Camp (Avalon Group), Stanford Carr (Stanford Carr Development), Harry Saunders (Castle & Cooke Homes Hawai'i), Tracy Tonaki (D.R. Horton), and moderated by David Arakawa, Executive Director of LURF
- Chapter 18 of Revised Ordinances of Honolulu: When Permits are Required - Section 18-3.1 (a) & Work Exempted from Permits - Section 18-3.1 (b)
- DPP website
- Dean Uchida, Director, Department of Planning and Permitting
Moderator: David Arakawa, Executive Director, Land Use Research Foundation
- Christine Camp, President & CEO, Avalon Group
- Stanford Carr, President, Stanford Carr Development
- Harry Saunders, President, Castle & Cooke Homes Hawai'i
- Tracy Tonaki, Senior Vice President, D.R. Horton
Rental Assistance Programs - Orientation & Training:
Watch session recording below for an overview of the City & County of Honolulu's Household Hardship Relief Fund. Presenters from Aloha United Way go over the qualifications, required documents, application process, and answer questions from property managers. This program covers rent, mortgage, and utilities. Aloha United Way is administering applications and payments for this program. Payments will be sent directly to the landlord or property management company.
As of October 13th: Due to extremely high application volume, this program has also reached capacity and cannot accept new applications this time.
- To inquire about an already submitted, contact 808-543-2247 or [email protected].
- HHRF presentation slides: includes details on eligibility, AMI chart, required documents, and more
- HHRF application: Prequalification application | Program application | Printable application | FAQ
- HHRF session recording
The State of Hawaii Rent Relief and Housing Assistance Program will cover rent, mortgage, and HOA dues. Catholic Charities Hawaii and Aloha United Way will administer applications and payments for this program statewide. Payments will be sent directly to the landlord or property management company. Visit website
- Applications for assistance are currently being accepted for rent or mortgage payments due between March 1 and December 28, 2020.
As of October 13th: Given the high volume of applications, both Aloha United Way and Catholic Charities Hawaii have reached their current processing capacity and will not be able to accept any new applications at this time. The State will be establishing a processing center as both program administrators hire additional staff.
- Already submitted applications are being processed in the order they were received.
- To facilitate processing, applicants and landlords/property managers are encouraged to readily respond to requests for information from processors to help accelerate the necessary verifications.
|Catholic Charities Hawaii materials:||Aloha United Way materials:|
Virtual Agent Forum - April 20, 2020
Watch a recording of HBR's virtual forum here, where NAR’s Erin Stackley, Tony Au of FHB, Susan Utsugi and Rusty Rasmussen of CPB, and Brad Konishi, CPA discussed what’s happening with the PPP and EIDL programs and answered questions on the application process, tax implications, and insights.
If you still have questions after watching our forum and reviewing NAR’s resources, please email us at [email protected] with the subject line: CARES Question.
Livestream presentation with Paul Brewbaker - March 18, 2020
Watch a recording of HBR's livestream presentation here, where Paul Brewbaker of TZ Economics discussed Housing, the Economy and COVID-19 and answered questions from REALTORS®. View presentation slides here.
Agent Forum - March 10, 2017
Watch video from HBR's March 10, 2017, Agent Forum, which included top-producers from across the country: 2018 NAR President Elizabeth Mendenhall, 30-under-30 winners Kristen Smith and Phillip Becker and social media maven Shay Hata.
- Elizabeth Mendenhall, 2017 NAR President-Elect
- Kristen Smith
- Philip Becker
- Shay Hata
- Discussion Panel
Agent Forum - April 1, 2016
Watch video from HBR's April 1, 2016, Agent Forum, in which major developers addressed the future of housing development on Oahu.
- DR Horton-Schuler Homes
- Gentry Homes
- Howard Hughes Corporation
- Kobayashi Group
- Stanford Carr
Agent Forum - October 16, 2015
Watch video from HBR's Agent Forum Oct. 16, 2015, which addressed ADUs, HBR's leadership and the new REC advertising rules.