Highlights of MLS Rules & Regs Changes
|MLS participants must now enter all listings for property located within the State of Hawaii (previously Oahu only).|
|Digital Media||Information contained in digital media (e.g., images, virtual tours, videos, etc.) shall pertain to the listed property only (e.g., agent headshots should not be included in listing photos or videos).|
|Digital Media||Digital media may NOT contain agent or company names, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, website addresses, agent photographs or videos, logos or promotions for a closing service provider or any other peripheral service.|
|Digital Media||All videos (including those hosted on 3rd-party sites, such as YouTube) must be unbranded, meaning the videos and the sites on which they are located, do not contain any of the above named forms of contact information or any other identifying information.|
|Digital Media||Photos will be watermarked with HiCentral MLS (HCMLS) for tracking and data-security purposes.|
|Internet Data Exchange (IDX)||IDX users must refresh all MLS downloads at least once every twelve (12) hours.|
|IDX||All listings displayed pursuant to IDX shall identify the listing firm in a reasonably prominent location and in a readily visible color and typeface not smaller than the median used in the display of listing data.|
|IDX||Deceptive or misleading advertising (including co-branding) on pages displaying IDX-provided listings is prohibited. For purposes of these rules, co-branding will be presumed not to be deceptive or misleading if the Participant’s logo and contact information is larger than that of any third party.|
|IDX||Display of sold data is no longer prohibited.|
- Why do we have MLS rules and regulations?
- Why are there changes to the MLS rules and regulations?
- Who decided upon these changes?
- When do these changes take effect?
- When do fines for these changes take effect?
- Where can I review the rules and regulations?
- How will photos be watermarked with the HiCentral MLS logo?
- Why will the photos be watermarked with the HiCentral MLS logo?
- What types of information is prohibited from my listings?
- Who is responsible for ensuring agents follow all MLS rules and regulations?
- Download our "cheat sheet"
- Slides from Aug., 17, 2015, Brokers Roundtable
- "Red-lined" MLS Rules and Regulations
Why are there changes to the MLS rules & regs? The changes to the MLS "rules & regs" are a result of recommendations from the MLS Rules & Regs Task Force, as well as mandates from the National Association of REALTORS®, which are necessary to maintain our charter with NAR and our Errors and Omissions insurance eligibility.
- Francine Villarmia-Kahawai (chair)
- Allison Lum, Plum Associates, Inc.
- Darryl Macha, Century 21 All Islands
- David Nash, Sachi HI Pacific Century Prop.
- Joni Ann Shiraishi, Hawaii Realty Professionals
- Joyce Nakamura, Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Kate Braden, Oahu Real Estate Online LLC
- Lorraine Fukumae, Marcus & Associates, Inc.
- Richard Sterman, Sterman Realty
- Sandra Sakuma, iProperties Hawaii, LLC
- Beth Worrall Daily, List Sotheby's International Realty
- Nathan Aipa, Pitluck, Kido & Aipa (legal counsel)
Where can I review the rules and regulations? The rules & regs can be viewed here.
How will photos be watermarked with the HiCentral MLS logo? MLS will add a watermark to the lower right corner of each photo after it has been uploaded to the MLS. The watermark will appear on all photos in HiCentral MLS and on all photos that are used in the data feed for IDX and other third-party websites.
Why will the photos be watermarked with the HiCentral MLS logo? By watermarking its listing photos, HiCentral MLS software can determine if HCMLS listing data has been posted to an unauthorized website (such as Craigslist).
What types of information is prohibited from my listings? Digital media may pertain only to the subject property. Contact information, including: names, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, website, agent photographs, logos, promotions for a closing service provider or any peripheral services, is prohibited.